Wednesday, March 12, 2008

If you haven't noticed

I am beginning to post a handful of my own ekphrastic poems. I mean, why not? The course is over and it's my blog, right? Here's an older poem, one that I remembered while trying to write my own poem about David Hooker's ceramic work.


After Her Ceramics Class Results in Many Heavy Christmas Presents from Your Sullen Teenage Daughter


You try to break the gifts while she is gone: heavy, contorted bowls, mugs with no handles.
Knock them to the floor with malice of accident.
The only lovely cup she made--one that curves like a young boy’s shoulder,
the one with blue glazes in several shades--leaks.
You learn how a green dish shines in the afternoon light as it flies, before it gouges
a smile in your stucco wall.
I know you grieve, that you love the wall more than the deadly dish.
I know you wish--small suggestion you’ve held at the back of your throat--for her to give
you something more delicate, something lighter than a human head.



dw

3 comments:

David JP Hooker said...

Ahh, Yes- somehow my mom won't get rid of those tired old clunky pots I gave her many moons ago (I refer to them as "head-conk" ware).

Say, where is that delicious little poems of yours you keep teasing me with??

dh

Anonymous said...

This is a great poem. Very original, humourous but also moving. I liked it very much.

Jan

Anonymous said...

This is a great poem. It was original and humourous but also moving too.

I liked it very much.
Jan

Contributors