Saturday, April 26, 2008

Day 26--Flailing Away



Thrashing on Troeger Farm, 1886--Revision/Burning Away the Chaff

Thomas Hart Benton could have covered a post office wall
with you all, made your lives an allegory of horses v. steam.

I will make no parables , nor will I feed the thousands.

The bread I eat comes to me whole. The crusts I break
by hand and dip into cool, pasteurized milk.

I buy loaves as large and distant as your relative heads.




Thrashing on Troeger Farm, 1886
On the post office wall, you appear to have stopped for a mural.

Thomas Hart Benton would have colored you,
my brothers, my sisters, your horses in sepia and autumn.

He would have coursed his allegories and training
all across the regions of your faces and your fields.

The small, tough world of your love turns up for the thrashing
you give to one another and to the earth in 1886.

A few beasts walk the circle and grain separates
away the straw that breaks as it should;

you know from memory how to burn the chaff,
and how to grind and bake grains to sustain

a body of work I have never been in. Belief
for me comes easy, without gnarled limbs or crooked and curved spines.

I have made no parables, nor have I fed the thousands.

Most of my bread comes to me in perfection. The crusts I break
by hand and dip into cool, pasteurized milk.

I buy it in loaves as large and distant as your relative heads.

No comments:

Contributors